Friday, November 19, 2010

First Person = FAIL!

 I suck at writing in first person.

Here's why: I do alot of living inside myself. For every one thing I say, there are probably ten more that I'm thinking. Sometimes it's some thing I'm worrying about, or something I'm reading, or maybe what I need to pick up at the store. But most often, it's a line to a poem I'll never write, or an observation about life that has no relevance in the conversation of real, day to day life. So I keep quiet, because really, who cares but me?

One example (out of millions): On Monday I was pumping gas when I saw a Canadian goose fly across the sky. It was alone, honking, and flying with purpose. Immediately I starting wondering where he came from, where he was going, and why he was alone. I decided that maybe he'd been left behind. Maybe the other geese had already left for points south, and now he had to make the journey alone. The whole thing made me sad.

I make up these little mini-stories multiple times a day. This is how my brain works. I'm pretty sure I'm abnormal.

This abnormality complicates the first person writing process. Because in a novel, ACTION! is a pretty key component. And who wants to read a book where the main character daydreams about migratory birds all day?

Hey! That goose just took off with my internal dialogue!
When I started writing Dark Luck, I started it in first person. Then a couple of days later, I moved it to third person (my happy place), but then I decided to stop being a chicken and moved it back to first person.

And yeah, now it's a convoluted mess. But that's where editing comes in, right?

2 comments:

  1. Your internal dialogue is apparently more mature than mine. All I could think of when you mentioned the goose, was D & J running around saying "Who's the Goose?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I thought about that too. We still have our little goose doll. Looks just like the one I saw at the gas station. :)

    ReplyDelete