Monday, November 8, 2010

Ten Favorite Books of All Time

In no particular order. Keep in mind that this is not my idea of the best books ever written. These are just the books that mean the most to me, for one reason or another. Some are "candy bar" books, and others are more literary. I love them all equally.

Pride and Prejudice
I read this book every year, and every year I'm amazed at how much I love it. I've read many classics over the years, but this is one that reads so much like a contemporary novel, I have a hard time remembering that I'm reading an "old" book. I still wish Lizzy would just kiss the crap out of Mr. Darcy, though. That man needs it.

Little Women
I first read this in High School and remember hugging the book tightly after I finished it. I still feel compelled to hug it every time I finish it (which is about once a year or so). I always wanted sisters, so there is fascination to me in the bond between the March girls. I only hope that H & Little E have the same type of relationship. I'll be reading this book to them as soon as they are old enough to appreciate it.

Tara Road
To be honest, I've read a few Maeve Binchy books, and this is the only one I've liked. But I more than like this book, it's full on love for me. Yeah, the writing is run-of-the-mill, and the plot is disjointed (and to a certain extent, non-existent), but the characters are so detailed, and beautiful, and flawed that I'm willing to overlook alot. This book is comforting like a pair of worn flannel pants, and delicious like a cup of hot chocolate. A guilty pleasure.

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
I was going through a tough time in life when this book was given to me by a former teacher. I was twelve, so probably a little old for it (I'd already moved on to adult fiction by this time), but it was love at first read. The excitement, the adventure, the mystery! I still re-read this book on a regular basis and it is without a doubt my favorite childhood book.

The Time Traveler's Wife (Just made the list!)
I was stunned by how much this book affected me. I bought it because I knew a little about the premise (well, I knew the title, which says enough) and it seemed like a really interesting idea. I love anything that ties literary fiction with magical realism, which is my absolute favorite sub-genre. The strange thing is that I don't even particularly like the characters, but the way the story is told is so beautiful that it's a work of art to me. I'm sure I'll re-read it many, many times.

Harry Potter Series
Alone, probably none of the books in the series would make this list. But together, they are close to the top of the heap. Fantastic story, brilliant writing. Can't get enough of it, actually.

The Book of Ti'ana
A book based on a video game. And a full-on fantasy novel at that, which isn't usually my thing. But this is without a doubt one of the best books I've ever read. It's number two in a trilogy, and outshines the other two like crazy. From the world-building, to the characters, to the plot. Yum. Love this book. (And now I want to re-read it and I can't find my copy. Eep!) The very first website I ever built was devoted to this book. That's saying something, I think.

The Weight of WaterThis book proves the worth of Anita Shreve. It's arguably her best and rawest book. Emotional, taut, vivid, but sparse. Every time I read this I'm surprised by the craftsmanship of it. It makes me wish I could write so honestly. Very inspirational.

Emma
I never usually talk about it, but Emma is actually tied with P&P as my favorite Jane Austen book of all time. It's funny, satirical without being mean, and so modern that like P&P that I forget it's almost 200 years old. (For fans of the movie, the BBC version produced last year and released through Masterpiece Theater is SO much better than the Gwyneth Paltrow version, which I previously loved.) Not a book to be overlooked.

On Writing
I have a love and hate relationship with this book. Every time I read it I beat myself up, wonder why I bother trying to write, and Josh ALWAYS threatens to throw it out because I get so emo when I read it. But this book is on the list because as much as it makes me feel inferior, it also inspires in a way I can't explain. I love King for writing this book, and I'm going to prove him wrong one of these days. (Ask me what I mean one day when I'm not trying to write a novel.)

What are your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment